Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tools I couldn't live without

Because I sell kitchen tools, people ask me all the time which ones are my favorites. To be honest, there are very few in our line I don't love... but there are a bunch that I use constantly:

All of these are by The Pampered Chef. The best kitchen tools on the market if you ask me.

9x13" Stoneware baking pan. I use this thing at least a couple of times a week. I'll throw a bunch of chicken thighs with herbs and garlic on them to bake. I made ziti in it last week. I make my baked ravioli in it. I can do brownies or sheet cakes one day and baked pork roast the next. It is my constant companion in the kitchen and the perfect size for a family of 4. (Bread pudding in it is to die for, too. I made the French bread with bourbon sauce from the Joy of Cooking and people were blown away.)

Deep dish pie plate. Ok, I admit, I think the fluting around the top is sort of dorky, but I really really love the way the pies come out in this thing. Mine is just now starting to develop the right patina and it bakes the crusts beautifully. No more soggy bottoms. Now that I have discovered the roll out ready-made pie crusts, I make pies for dinner all the time. It is a very quick way to use up left-overs and the kids love them.

8" Executive saute pan. What's not to love? It is non-stick, but it has a lifetime warranty. It has a silicone handle so I don't have to use a pot holder on the stove. It has a flared rim so I can pour stuff out of it without dripping. And it fries up an egg perfectly. Every time. I love my cast iron pans, don't get me wrong, but when I am frying my eggs in the morning, I use my little saute pan and love it.

Chef's tongs. These are great because the ends have silicone covers, so they won't mar my non-stick cookware. Plus they are self locking so you can put them in your tool canister without them flopping open and tangling up the rest of your stuff. Love them.

Garlic press. Don't have to peel the cloves. Actually can fit a whole clove in the hopper. Great contoured handle. Hasn't broken yet, which is more than my last two presses can say.

Pizza stone. I use the 15" for cookies and lots of pizzas. I am a fan of Callise Bakery crust in a bag, but even frozen pizza tastes better when the crust isn't a soggy mess.

12" Family Skillet. PC has two versions of this, but I like the Executive. Goes from the stovetop to the oven up to 400 degrees. I make a quick chicken parmesan in mine that is delicious. Plus you can bake a pretty impressive pineapple upside down cake in it, too!

Those are my favorite Pampered Chef tools. For non-PC tools I like:

Oxo salad spinner. Since we make salad every stinkin' night, plus have a hungry bunny to feed, we better have a handy way to wash all that romaine. We are on our third OXO spinner and will be buying another one when this one breaks.

12" Cast iron frying pan. Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways. I love that you weigh 20 lbs. (Actually, the only thing I don't love...) I love that you are now non-stick after I have carefully tended to your beautiful seasoning over all these years. I love that my kids kids will be able to fry chicken or make a whopping huge cornbread or stir fry their veggies in you. I love that you cost me about $15. New.

Pyrex measuring cups. I wish they nested, yes, but I like the heft of these cups. They just seem indestructible and that is a good thing when I am measuring out all those potentially dangerous ingredients, LOL.

Kitchenaid stand mixer. I don't bake tons, but when I do, it is AMAZING to have the right tool for the job. See earlier posts about my mixer obsession. But for day to day work, the KA is the one for me.

All these tools make getting dinner on the table easier. And since I do that 5 or 6 nights a week, it is great to have good stuff in the kitchen!

4 comments:

Urban Mermaid said...

Yes, I am very materialistic in the kitchen I'll admit it. There are some tools that you come to worship. For me it's anything cast iron, and anything stoneware, my Presto pressure cooker and my heavy duty kitchen aid mixer. (it even took a spill, hopping off the table while kneading dough and it still works fine). I am in love with those apple peelers that do everything, including folding your laundry!
Today I made clear soup from all my saved kale and broccoli stock from the week. I had two quarts. I added fresh vegetables;cubed potatoes, sliced onions,sliced mushrooms, sliced carrots, broccoli, dollops of extra virgin(Job lot)olive oil,crushed red pepper flakes, and pressure cooked it for 13 minutes. It's yummy with a spash of soy sauce added. Like wonton soup but without the wontons.

Rachel Nguyen said...

Oh, that sounds so good! I just bought some kale today and am making my bean and linguica soup with it again this week.

I haven't really gotten the hang of the pressure cooker yet. Maybe we need to get together for some practice! (Can't you just imagine the kitchen all steamed up from the power of a couple of pressure cookers rattling away on the stove?)

I love the 'apple peeler corer slicer laundry folder' too.

Anonymous said...

I just bought a PC salad and berry spinner. Do you know anything about these. I see you prefer the OXO one? I hope I didn't go wrong getting the PC one.

Rachel Nguyen said...

Hi Wendy,

This post was written before I had the pleasure of owning the Pampered Chef spinner. Now I am a convert! True, it is more expensive than the OXO.... but I think it is built better. The lid doesn't protrude down into your lettuce, so you can fit more in the basket. Also, the berry spinner works great and is included in the price. With lots of other salad spinners you have to pay extra for a berry basket. I think the spin mechanism is easier on the PC version, too. And by golly, I think it dries lettuce better.

You did great on your purchase!