Monday, November 06, 2006

Chicken pot pie

Ok all you busy folks, here's something I have been doing lately to make life easier.

Step one: Roast a pair of chickens. Save the juices to make gravy. Eat 1 roasted chicken for dinner and throw the second one in the fridge. Save the carcass from the first one.

Step two: Make chicken pot pie out of the leftovers (see recipe below).

Step three: Make chicken soup out of the carcasses.

So here is my super simple chicken pot pie recipe:

2 pie crusts (homemade or store bought dough)
shredded leftover chicken. (3 cups or so)
1/2 a bag of frozen veggies
Gravy (homemade or canned)
Salt and Pepper

This isn't rocket science. I put the bottom crust into the pie plate. Fill it with the chicken and veggies. Pour over the gravy until the filling is nice and moist. (about 2 cups of gravy) Salt and pepper it and put on the top crust. Crimp the edges, vent the top and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Since the chicken is already cooked, you only want to worry about your crust.

Last night I made one of these before going to a meeting and by the time I came home, my husband and two boys had eaten the entire thing. I ended up having to get takeout, if you can believe it.

1 comment:

Urban Mermaid said...

Rachel,
Thank you!
This is just the recipe I am looking for. I also wanna make a turkey pie. I'm thinking about roasting a turkey outside on the weber while it's still warm out. Hey those stoneware pampered chef pie pans make a difference in your crusts too!