Saturday, July 01, 2006

Simple French Vanilla Ice Cream

I didn't have all the ingredients that were called for in the ice cream recipe I had... so I started to just throw stuff together and it turned out to be a delicious and simple ice cream recipe.

Here's the recipe:

3 cups light cream
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan, over medium heat. Stir constantly as the mixture warms up. Do not allow it to boil, or the eggs will curdle. Just as the liquid begins to steam, lower the heat. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens slightly and can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Take the custard off the heat and allow it to cool completely. I poured it into a 1 quart mason jar and refridgerated it.... then threw it in the freezer to speed up the cooling process. It took about an hour to get good and cold. Place the custard in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions.

Mine came out perfectly custardy, vanilla-ish and amazingly creamy. After I took it out of the ice cream machine, I froze it in a plastic tub for another 45 minutes or so to make it more solid. It was simply incredible!

Next time I am going to try adding fruit... berries or peaches, perhaps. Summer is here!

No comments: